According to various research and evidence, Plato was one of the greatest Greek philosophers ever born in this world. Today we will read Inspirational Plato quotes and sayings with the explanation that can change your life.
I have learned many things from him and also executed some of his teachings in my life. I have tried to explain every quote on basis of my wisdom.
Plato Quotes with explanation
1. “Ideas are the source of all things.”
There is no doubt that ideas and imagination are the real sources behind everything committed by any human. A criminal and a businessman both use the same weapon for different objectives.
It is important to cultivate a good mindset which gives you positive ideas and imagination in your life and overall helps you in becoming a better human being creating a better society.
2. “Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.”
The opinion is the best medium by which one can educate himself and get specific knowledge about anything he wants. However, opinion can go both ways and a knowledgeable person can also become ignorant if he does not use intelligence.
With the help of the right form of opinion, an uneducated man can become a knowledgeable person. The opinion works as a medium between knowledge and ignorance because the one who cannot put questions will never become a knowledgeable man.
You have to have some opinion to grow as a person.
Quotes on man
3. “The measure of a man is what he does with power.”
This is one of the best Plato quotes everyone should remember. A Weak one will always talk about the one who is in power. The weaker section will find mistakes and complaint about the work done by the powerful section.
But if anyhow the weaker section gets the power to rule overall society. From there we can measure the weaker section based on work is done and decisions taken by them.
4. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
The child who is afraid of the dark can be taught to become good and overcome fear. But the men who are afraid of light cannot be taught how to love the light is a real tragedy of society. A child is always ready to learn but a man is exactly the opposite.
5. “There is no harm in repeating a good thing.”
A good thing can be done numerous times as it is helpful for the growth and betterment of society. One good deed always brings many hopes and positive Vibes for other people.
Plato Quotes on education
6. “If a man neglects education, he walks lame to the end of his life.”
Education is the only way by which one can live a well-managed life. Otherwise, he walks lame to the end of life without achieving much. The one who neglected education got neglected by the whole world.
7. “Thinking – the talking of the soul with itself.”
When you think, at that particular time you start talking with your soul. Ask questions and you will get the answers from the soul in form of the inner voice.
8. “Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.”
9. “Bodily exercise, when compulsory, does no harm to the body; but knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind.”
10. “Knowledge becomes evil if the aim is not virtuous.”
Knowledge is a two ways word that can go both ways negative and positive. The right form of knowledge can take you forward in your life and helps in getting success but the wrong knowledge will always work as evil against you.
Plato Quotes on wise and fool
11. “A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.”
Statistics and records are meant to be broken but the one who is actually full of knowledge will never get defeated while making a good decision. That is why it is important to decide on basis of knowledge and not on basis of records and numbers.
12. “Wealth, and poverty; one is the parent of luxury and indolence, and the other of meanness and viciousness, and both of discontent.”
13. “An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”
This is practical that an empty vessel will make the loudest sound in the room in comparison to the vessel which is full. The same goes for humans too.
A person who has less knowledge will try to raise the volume of his voice and will try to prove his point based on power.
But the person who is full of knowledge will stay silent until the listener is ready. This person will Express his views in a normal voice and answer every question calmly.
14. “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”
A wise man always chooses to speak when he has something valid to give in the room. However, the one who is a fool will try to speak for no reason.
This happens because the wise one has a kind of value for every word. Wise men always try to listen and observe more rather than speaking anything.
15. “Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.”
Plato quotes on life
16. “All men are by nature equal, made all of the same earth by one workman.”
Everyone has some sort of positives and negatives. No one is perfect in anything. Because nature made everyone equal and provided everyone with an equal amount of opportunities and discomforts in their life.
17. “Truth is the beginning of every good to the gods, and every good to man.”
18. “The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile.”
The one who can conquer himself can conquer anyone in this world and even this whole world. As we have learned before that nature has made everyone equal. This is why if you can understand yourself then you can understand anyone.
19. “Knowledge without justice ought to be called cunning rather than wisdom.”
20. “A library of wisdom is more precious than all wealth, and all desirable things cannot be compared to it. Whoever, therefore, claims to be zealous of truth, of happiness, of wisdom or knowledge, must become a lover of books.”
21. “Only dead have seen the end of the war.”
I have tried hard to explain every quote said by Plato in my words according to my wisdom.
What I have learned by reading his quotes
1. Acquire as much knowledge you can and not be arrogant about it.
2. Knowledge is fruitful only when the mission is right and Justice prevails.
3. Everyone is equal in form of opportunities and discomforts. When you see opportunities then your life is good, when you do see discomforts the life is bad.
4. Always try to speak less and observe more.
You can also tell what you have learned.
If you think I have done justice then you can appreciate me in the comment box. If you have something other than that to say then you are again welcome in the comment section.
These quotes said by him cannot be expressed and explained in two lines. One can write a whole book to explain his sayings.